Nothing lasts forever!

I'm deeply saddened today. The view from my home that I once cherished and loved and that warmed my heart and brought limitless happiness to me has gone thanks to the commercial interest of some insensitive county council governors.

I've recently made Dunstable my home and was immensely proud of the view it had; in fact it was one of the reasons I chose to live here. My home on Kiln Way overlooks the Blows Down, a vast stretch of hill, covered with foliage and which is home to several birds and small animals(I've seen a fox here in winter). Through this runs the ancient Icknield Way and an old train track which was unused until now.

The county council in a bid to increase the commuting options between Luton and Dunstable have decided to revive this long dead track by making a busway translink between the 2 towns. While it will be largely useless to the people who live along the way (as there aren't many stops and the stops it will have, anyway have multiple conveyance options), they will have to endure the nuisance of the construction and loss of a beautiful vista and wildlife.

It just seems so unfair and insensitive and I thought only underdeveloped countries faced such issues. But governemnts all over are the same - selfish and self centred. I though countries like the UK emphasise greatly on environment protection and conservation. I wonder how then this decision was taken without thought to the impact on the surrounding flora and fauna. How come the tax payers never have control over what their money is used for? if I'm paying shouldn't I have a right to choose what the money is used for? And what's more, this activity began without any prior intimation. Apparently this has been going on for a while now and most residents are aware, But what about people new to town? If you expect me to pay taxes as soon as I get here, don't I have a right to know what your doing in what is almost by backyard???? Or just wake up one day to see the damage done. On the first day I thought the crane was there to clear the way since winter was nearing it's end!

I had tears in my eyes as I saw huge noisy cranes fell the majestic trees, some of which housed the nests of birds that visit my garden everyday and to see just stumps remain ruthlessly hacked by commercial intent.

This when spring is just round the corner and I was waiting to see the trees bloom with new leaves and flowers and hoping to see more birds that the warmer weather would bring home.

Now these dreams will be replaced by the harsh reality of concrete creating a modern day convenience hazard. The old again is forced to give way to the new leaving a few fond memories, lingering emotions and a melancholic feeling of loss.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Urban sprawling can be a serious pain in the a** :D

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 - Tricksy Hobbitses - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template