Banning the burqa debate

This debate has received a lot of attention thanks to its controversial tone.

I came across this interesting take on the issue and thought i must share it.

Banning the burqa unveils some nasty traits in us | India Knight - Times Online

I don't know what to make of this issue.....I'm constantly swaying back and forth arguing for and against. While France may be trying to establish equality for it's residents, I can't help but feel that it's a tad insensitive to expect, say for instance, a 60 year old lady for whom the veil is almost a matter of respect (and a part of her system) and probably feels undressed without it to suddenly stop wearing it one day!

If the move is to stop discrimination and even oppression and mistreatment of women, then banning the burqa is only a superficial/ symbolic action. The real solution then is a deeper social and cultural change. The move then to me indicates intolerance and an attempt to interfere in an individual's freedom to practise their cultural nuances.

While I understand France's need to keep it's cultural freedom intact. I feel that in the multicultural world of today, there are less drastic ways to implement that than forcing people from other cultures to change their attire....sounds ridiculous doesn't it. What next? A national uniform???

If the impending law stems from a security concern, then is a tough call. I guess the burqa can veil weapons or even gender of intending miscreants. But then does anything stop such people from flouting the law in any case!

I'm not a Muslim but being a woman I do appreciate that women who are forced to wear the uncomfortable garment will find relief. Also I'm sure most young ladies will welcome it.

I just hope if the law is enforced, it is put into action a gradual manner and not in an insensitive fashion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 - Tricksy Hobbitses - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template